From: Neil Barker <Neil.Barker@...>
Date: 7 September 2021 at 12:10:16 BST
To: Jennifer Aish <Jennifer.Aish@...>
Subject: Experimental traffic order - changes to one-way working in Maryland Road E15

Dear Sir or Madam

Experimental traffic order - changes to one-way working in Maryland Road E15

The London Borough of Newham proposes to make an experimental traffic order under section 9 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.  Before we make the order you are being consulted as required under the Local Authorities’ Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England and Wales) Regulations 1996.

The London Borough of Newham (LBN), as the local highway and public health authority, has established policies to increase sustainable travel and reduce the impact of motorised transport on public health (physical activity, air quality, road traffic collisions, noise, severance) and on the climate emergency. Reducing exposure to motor traffic, and incentivising walking and cycling, can be achieved through the introduction of ‘low traffic neighbourhoods’ (LTNs). LTNs utilise road closures, with exemptions for cycles, known as ‘modal filters’ to reduce or eliminate through motor traffic from a defined residential area and incentivise walking and cycling.

Following the introduction of the experimental Low Traffic Neighbourhood Area 1 ‘Maryland’, local businesses have highlighted issues with access to their premises on Maryland Road.

Officers have reviewed the request and recognise that the introduction of two-way operation on part of Maryland Road offers the potential to assist access to the businesses of Maryland Road Industrial Estate, whilst not compromising the LTN scheme objectives of removing through motor traffic. It is also proposed to exempt pedal cycles from the remaining one-way operation in accordance with revised national guidance.

As such, it is proposed to proceed with the experimental measures listed below for at least the lifespan of the existing experimental LTN scheme:

1.     Conversion of the eastern section of Maryland Road, between No. 19 Maryland Road and Leytonstone Road, from one-way eastbound operation to two-way operation for all traffic.

2.     Exemption for pedal cycles from the existing one-way eastbound operation in the western section of Maryland Road, between Falmouth Street and No.19 Maryland Road.

Please find attached drawing no. 20004_100_25 Rev B showing the proposals.  For further information please contact Linda Zhu, Senior Project Manager (Linda.Zhu@...; 020 3373 4282).

Once the order has been in force unchanged for at least six months the council intends to consider making a permanent order having the same effect.

Please let me have any observations you may wish to make by 28 September 2021. Please could you copy your observations to Linda Zhu whose details are above.

Thank you very much for your input.

Regards

Neil Barker I Principal Officer, Traffic Orders I Parking Design

Community and Environment

London Borough of Newham

Newham Dockside I 1000 Dockside Road I London E16 2QU

DDI: 020 3373 6415 I  Int: 31279

www.newham.gov.uk I Follow us on Twitter@newhamlondon

People at the Heart of Everything We Do